Subject: Re: lang/gcc3[4] packages and libtool
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/21/2005 11:35:32
Todd Vierling wrote:
> These packages use libtool for target library support (libstdc++, etc.), so
> that it can create shared libs.  However, libtool itself is not used in the
> build because the compiler may be needed in order to build libtool.  It's a
> chicken-and-egg problem, particularly for platforms where pkgsrc-modified
> libtool is critical (e.g., Interix, DragonFly).
>
> I'd like to improve this by applying the "manual" libtool patches to the gcc
> source tree, regenerating the autoconf configure files, and creating pkgsrc
> patches for those (thus avoiding the need to have autoconf installed at
> build time).  The tradeoff of this is that updates of the gcc packages will
> require doing the autoconf regen step each time.  I could create a README
> detailing the steps, much like manual.README in devel/libtool/patches.
>
> Thoughts?  Objections?

I think that's fine.  We already do a bit of nastiness in the
pre-configure target in Makefile.common that we should do away with.
Your solution is more correct, even if it's more painful to update this
package.  I would suggest creating a separate target that's commented
out in the package Makefile that does the regen step for you, but a
README file works as well.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>