Subject: lang/gcc3[4] packages and libtool
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/21/2005 11:13:33
These packages use libtool for target library support (libstdc++, etc.), so
that it can create shared libs.  However, libtool itself is not used in the
build because the compiler may be needed in order to build libtool.  It's a
chicken-and-egg problem, particularly for platforms where pkgsrc-modified
libtool is critical (e.g., Interix, DragonFly).

I'd like to improve this by applying the "manual" libtool patches to the gcc
source tree, regenerating the autoconf configure files, and creating pkgsrc
patches for those (thus avoiding the need to have autoconf installed at
build time).  The tradeoff of this is that updates of the gcc packages will
require doing the autoconf regen step each time.  I could create a README
detailing the steps, much like manual.README in devel/libtool/patches.

Thoughts?  Objections?

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>