Subject: Re: pkgsrc progress bar?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2005 14:02:13
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > Will this work when one step (one line) takes 25 minutes and 100 steps
> > (100 lines) takes a few seconds? Will the progress bar show how much
> > "time" or how many lines?
>
> Lines, obviously. But I guess we can assume that the output is distributed
> rather evenly.

This is why I think it won't work (easily). On some of my systems, linking
binaries may take many minutes and sometimes over half an hour. Then there
may be many lines of output that are completed instantly. I could imagine
a progress bar quickly getting to 95-percent and then sitting for a long
time on some steps at the end.

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/