Subject: Re: pkgsrc progress bar?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2005 22:18:24
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I say it is not possible because there are too many variables: different
> operating systems, different compilers, different dependencies (native
> versus pkgsrc for example), different supplementary tools (like sed, awk,
> grep). I don't see how we can estimate how long something takes. And
> building some database of known build times won't scale well. Even my AMD
> K6-400 machines builds many packages faster than my 1000Mhz+ machines.

Run the following command

 	sh -c 's=2; for i in `jot 5` ; do date ; sleep $s ; done' \
 	| progress -l 145 dd of=/dev/null

Change the value of the 's' variable and you'll see that the output will
be about the same. The only constant in there is the lenth of the output,
and it shouln't matter too much if there a few bytes more or less.

Saving these numbers is probably trivial during regular builds, just
capture the numbers: make $BUILD_TARGET | tee /dev/tty | wc -l
>$WRKDIR/build_size

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)