Subject: Re: pkgsrc progress bar?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@diana.nimenees.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2005 00:14:34
On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 03:32:07PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:
>
> > anyone have an idea how big effort would it be to implement
> > a progress bar to "make install" in pkgsrc? Now, for example,
> > installing gmplayer I have no idea whether I have to wait
> > for one or two more hours for it to complete... Even an
> > estimate with M$-precision would be better than nothing.
>
> This is not possible.

	sure it is.  it's just hard to do it accurately.  At the very least,
you could get a count of the number of packages you have left to build
vs. the total number needed.  e.g. something like this will give you at
least a rough idea:

pkglist=`make print-build-depends-list | sed -e'<magic to put each package on a line>'`
total=`echo $pkglist | wc -l`
pkginst=0
previnst=0
while [ $pkginst -lt $total ] ; do
	pkginst=`pkg_info -I $pkglist 2>&1 | grep -v "can't find" | wc -l`
	if [ $pkginst -ne $previnst ] ; then
		echo -n "$pkginst / $total	"
		date
	fi
	sleep 60
done

of course, anything more than that gets a lot harder real quick.

eric