Subject: format of status messages
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Roland Illig <roland.illig@gmx.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2005 17:20:27
I would like to change the format of some of the status messages.
Currently it looks like:

===> Patching for darcs-1.0.1
===> Ignoring empty patch directory
===> Perhaps you forgot the -P flag to 'cvs checkout' or 'cvs update'?
===> Overriding tools for darcs-1.0.1
===> Creating toolchain wrappers for darcs-1.0.1
===> Configuring for darcs-1.0.1

but I would like to see it like

===> Patching for darcs-1.0.1
=> Ignoring empty patch directory
=> Perhaps you forgot the -P flag to 'cvs checkout' or 'cvs update'?
===> Overriding tools for darcs-1.0.1
===> Creating toolchain wrappers for darcs-1.0.1
===> Configuring for darcs-1.0.1

I think the main stages should be distinguished from the minor steps by
using different indicators, like the ones above. I think I already saw
this style somewhere in pkgsrc, but it's not consistent at the moment.

$ cd $pkgsrc/mk && grep -r "[^=]=>" . | less

Perhaps we can have the following in bsd.pkg.mk (and use it):

STAGE_INDICATOR=	===>
STEP_INDICATOR=		==>
SUBSTEP_INDICATOR=	=>

Roland