Subject: Re: Alternatives system for pkgsrc
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.cuni.cz>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2005 16:19:12
On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 16:01 +0100, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> Hello,

> Thanks for doing this. Couldn't there be a way for the tools in the
> base system to participate in alternatives too? (To allow the
> default nvi to be overriden by the pksrc vim, or the default rsh by the
> rsh from Heimdal, etc.). At least on NetBSD.
>
> Also, mailwrapper could probably be replaced by this mechanism (if it is
> provided in the base system).

For this to happen, pkg_alternatives could have to be imported into
NetBSD and used by default.  It'd then be trivial to modify the script
to be able to pick alternatives from multiple databases (and not only
PREFIX/libdata/alternatives).  But I'm doubtful about this because...

This can also be solved by switching to syspkgs, when they are
available.  If you want to replace the base system rsh, you just remove
it and install the new package from pkgsrc.  No conflicts because they
are in different hierarchies.

Or simply by having /usr/pkg/bin before anything else in the path, as
I actually do.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>