Subject: Re: audio/cmp3 upgrade
To: Rui-Xiang Guo <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2005 16:06:29

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:53:52PM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
> Hi,
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:14:47AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 06:06:14PM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
> > > I intend to upgrade the cmp3 to 2.0pre6 and I have some idea about th=
> > > 1. Is it worth to keep the NetBSD native audio API support? Remove it=
> > >    reduce the patches.
> >=20
> > You must be fishing for bricks here ;-)
> > Please (a) keep the support and (b) feed it back to the author after the
> > updated pkg works.
> I just think the -lossaudio is good enough and most of audio applications
> are also fine with that.

Don't forget it requires a kernel option to work properly.  And you probably
won't convince much people that the NetBSD audio API should be abandoned.

> > > 2. The new feature of 2.0pre6 only is ogg support, so do we need to s=
> > >    it into cmp3 & cmp3-ogg?
> >=20
> > There isn't any patent issue with ogg, why bother splitting?
> Hmm, maybe someone just want to install mpg123 for listening to mp3 music.
> Well, if the patch of the ogg support is merged into future release, it w=
ill be
> vary hard to split it... ;)

It makes perfect sense that an application is able to read both.  Of course,
it add to the dependency list, but IMO it's worth it.

Quentin Garnier - -
"Commala-come-five! / Even when the shadows rise!
To see the world and walk the world / Makes ya glad to be alive."
Susannah's Song, The Dark Tower VI, Stephen King, 2004.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (NetBSD)