Subject: Re: Alternatives system for pkgsrc
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2005 14:53:50
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> An example: consider nvi and vim.  ATM you can install both on a system
> without problems, because neither of them registers itself as 'vi'.
> However, it may be convenient to have such link, specially if the base
> system does not provide a 'vi' program (ok, this example is not very
> fortunate, but you get the idea).
>
> But which program should the link point to?  We can't make that
> decision, because it will vary depending on the administrator
> preferences.

You could have an "nvi-as-vi" package which depends on the nvi package
and installs a symlink, and a "vim-as-vi" package which depends on
the vim package and installs a symlink. nvi-as-vi and vim-as-vi would
conflict with each other.  Yoo would switch between the two via
something like "pkg_delete nvi-as-vi ; pkg_add vim-as-vi".

--apb (Alan Barrett)