Subject: Re: pkgsrc progress bar?
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2005 12:03:23
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	It should be possible to indicate what is is currently doing
> 	(extracting tarfile, installing). Particularly useful with
> 	packages that pull in other packages.

One way to measure progress would be to count lines of output, which
assumes that that count is about the same on all hardware and operating
system platforms. pkg maintainers would have to count the numbers for
various steps like extract (think mozilla, openoffice, TeX, ...),
configure, build and install, and we could then display a progress bar
instead of the output, maybe even using progress(1).

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)