Subject: Re: pkgsrc progress bar?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Bieg <tomsbsd04@tiscali.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2005 03:11:25
Jeremy C. Reed schrieb:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:
>

>>anyone have an idea how big effort would it be to implement
>>a progress bar to "make install" in pkgsrc? Now, for example,
>>installing gmplayer I have no idea whether I have to wait
>>for one or two more hours for it to complete... Even an
>>estimate with M$-precision would be better than nothing.
>

> This is not possible.

... until it's done.

There may be no magic solution for arbitrary packages, but
what could be done is to write some tool that "records"
the make output beforehand together with some sort of
timestamps to get a reference, which could be used (by the
same tool) to calculate time estimates during later builds.

Of course the make output (and the time used) depends on
the environment (platform, compiler, options and whatnot),
so this is not exact science, but there is room for
improvement (i.e. (mis)using the toolchain wrappers for
measuring/comparing process times instead). Still, that
tool would have to be intelligent enough to handle
differences caused by conditional compilation and the
like.

If you want a simpler, but *really* imprecise solution
you could even have someone pipe the build output through
"wc -c" and use the result together with progress(1) for
your own build...

Regards,
Tom