Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/databases/db4
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2005 12:28:40
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> > But BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED should be used for SONAME changes.
>
> I may be reading your mail here wrong, but from what I understood:
> "If any shlib major changes, BUILDLINK_DEPENDS is bumped"
> was always the rule, even and especially after BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED
> support was committed.
>
> If there are packages where this as not followed, we have to fix
> them now (late, but better than never).

Then what is BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED and IGNORE_RECOMMENDED for?

If it is just for security issues, then BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED and
IGNORE_RECOMMENDED should be renamed and then we should add a new feature
to pkgsrc so pkgsrc users (not binary package users) can install packages
without forcing them to update dependencies first.

It has been a great time-saver to use IGNORE_RECOMMENDED=yes.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/