Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/databases/db4
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2005 20:42:13
On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 03:09:48AM +0000, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> I admit that I'm fuzzy about when we should do PKGREVISION bumps, too.
> Can anyone else please clarify this matter?

For the current state of affairs the policy is:
. BUILDLINK_DEPENDS bump on major API changes and shlib major bumps
  (i.e. when package stop building or when binary packages stop working
  because the expected shlib major is not found)
  This also incurs a recursive PKGREVISION and BUILDLINK_DEPENDS
  bump for all dependencies because of how our tools work, currently.[*]

. BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED bump for security fixes.

[*] Example:
a gets updated from 1.0 to 2.0, shlib major changes.
imagine wanting to install b (depending on a), c (depending on a),
and d (depending on b and c) from binary packages on a system with
updated versions of a and b already installed, but all you've got
is an old binary package for c. When you pkg_add d, it will install
the old binary package for c, which needs the old shlib major and thus
won't work. So you need a binary package of d that demands a version of
c that's new enough, and you have to give d a different PKGREVISION
than it had before.

 Thomas