Subject: Re: sendmail vs. milter-sender vs. db2/3/4
To: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
From: Adrian Portelli <adrianp@stindustries.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2005 11:32:08
Gert Doering wrote:

> As far as I understand, db3 is not compatible to db2 or db4 files - but at
> the same time, milter-sender needs to work on /etc/mail/access.db, which
> needs to be in a format that sendmail understands (db2 or db4).
>
> This seems to be a bug/oversight, but maybe I'm missing something...?

Well actually AFAIK sendmail can build with db1/2/3/4 so what we
probably need to look at doing is modifying the package so that you can
select which one you want to use.  With jlam@'s recent work on the DB
stuff it's probably a good idea to do this now using the
bdb.buildlink3.mk framework if possible.

Along the same lines I don't know why milter-sender is hardcoded to use
just db3.  Will the package work with another db version ?  Their www
site seems to be down ATM and the ./configure script _appears_ to look
for just generic DB support.

I was also going to bump sendmail to 8.13.3 soon so if I get my act
together I'll try and integrate this with the update.

> Any ideas?  Maybe the right db* combinations are indeed compatible?
>
> What db* version will the in-tree sendmail use (NetBSD-2.0), if any?

This is stock sendmail with NetBSD-2

# file /etc/mail/aliases.db
/etc/mail/aliases.db: Berkeley DB 1.85 (Hash, version 2, native byte-order)

> gert

Thanks for pointing this out.

adrian.