Subject: Re: problem installing maildrop
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/17/2005 16:29:26
Hauke Fath wrote:
> At 12:57 Uhr -0500 16.1.2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to install maildrop from up-to-date pkgsrc.  When I try
>>to build it, it says 'db1 is not an acceptable Berkeley DB type for
>>maildrop-1.3.9nb2', with no hint on how to proceed.  I eventually
>>figured out that I needed to set BDB_TYPE, but setting it to db4
>>yielded a compilation error in maildrop.  db3 worked, though.  Perhaps
>>it should just be a static dependency?  (If not, there should be some
>>better message about what the problem is and what one should do about it.)
>

> Steven,
>
> does the information in pkg/28949 help you any?
>
> 	hauke
>

> (IMHO, it would have been nice if those who bro^Wimplemented the Berkeley
> db framework in pkgsrc had checked packages for db use, and either notified
> the maintainers of the change, or put up generic instructions for fixing
> any related problems. The way this change was done, it has created a lot of
> unnecessary confusion and work for a lot of people.)

Well, it's pkgsrc-current, and with changes of this nature, it's hard to
do very complete testing.  If you want to come up with a list of
packages to test or possibly a regression test for the BDB framework, I
would be more than happy to use it.  Otherwise, I do the testing I can,
and then commit and see what happens in the bulk builds.  I don't
believe anyone anticipated the difficulties with *some* of the db-using
packages.  I've heard about problems with three packages, and I try to
fix them as soon as I can.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>