Subject: Re: package browser
To: iMil <imil@home.imil.net>
From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/17/2005 13:45:58
iMil wrote:

>> There's this GUI tool:
>>
>>  http://www.bytelabs.org/devel.html
>

> yes, i've heard about portbrowser, but i'd really prefer a curses based
> tool, just to make it easier to install / use everywhere. Portbrowser
> needs gtk2 and obviously X and friends..

I was wondering whether portbrowser has a clean split between the GUI
and backend code. If it does then it may be possible to cleanly add a
curses interface - this was something I would have liked to do myself
given enough spare time.

> As i've done some work on it already i may soon post a non-functionnal
> release just to show what i have in mind in terms of simplicity / usability

Are you planning on showing a tree view of package dependencies? An
integrated tool to do that and interactively query / install / delete
packages would be a great addition to the existing tools. If you keep
the curses interface and backend code cleanly separated then I'd be
interested in writing an optional X based frontend (in GTK+).

Chris