Subject: Java 1.5 packages
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/16/2005 00:41:56
Hi all,

some question WRT the sun-jre15 and sun-jdk15 packages:

- The numbering scheme is different to the packages for Java 1.4.
  For example, JRE 1.4.2_06 is sun-jre14-2.6 while JRE 1.5.0_01 is
  sun-jre15-5.0.1 (note the dubbed 5).  The one used for 1.4 seems
  more reasonable, because it shows all components just once.

  We might "fix" 1.5.x by "downgrading" it to sun-jre15-0.1.  But
  this doesn't sound like a good idea...

- Why do these packages use OWN_DIRS to create directories in
  PREFIX?  I see no point in this, given that even the created
  .pkgsrc files are registered in the PLIST.  I'll try to remove
  this and commit the results if no-one has a good reason for them
  to stay.  (The same goes to the 14 and 13 packages.)

- I don't know what the optional JCE support in sun-jre15 is, but
  couldn't this be splitted as an individual package (say sun-jce15)?

  It seems that all the option does is to add some more files to the
  package; if so, this is a perfect candidate to be splitted.
  (Not to say that the way used by the package to adjust the PLIST is
  wrong).

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>