Subject: Re: Automatic PLIST verification
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/13/2005 20:33:11
On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 11:16 -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>
> > in a recent discussion in tech-pkg@ (don't remember very well which one
> > it is), it was suggested that comparing the generated PLIST to the files
> > that were really installed by the package could be a good idea.
>
> I had brought that up. It looks like your patch just does a find of all
> files in ${PREFIX} before and after. This could be very slow on some of
> my systems :).

Well, it may be.  But it's a safety check for developers, who should
produce bug-free packages ;)  And BTW, the "only" slow find is the first
one because the file cache is empty.  Subsequent ones tend to be much,
much faster.

> My idea was to just save the +CONTENTS (pkg_info -L) of the package before
> the deinstall. Then on a install, if it was saved, compare them.

No, because the point of my patch is to verify that no _extra_ files
are installed anywhere, not to compare them with the previous installed
package.  If the installed files do not match the PLIST, the
installation bombs out.

And this is kinda useful because pkgsrc is portable.  I looked today at
the files left over in minskim@'s Linux bulk build and was quite
disappointed :-/

Cheers,

--