Subject: Re: Shared object not found - but all dependencies are ok ?!
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/13/2005 16:27:50
> Improving pkg_add to correctly verify the PROVIDES versus REQUIRES before
> installation is any idea. I am not sure what it can say though -- "This
> package needs ..... I don't know what the package is called. Sorry."

Now I am thinking about this more, and I see that it is not sufficient,
because there will be often need to have multiple versions of a library
installed and I don't think that having multiple packages with the same
name is supported, so a version number in a package name will be still
needed. Or does pkgviews change something here?

Also, a way to separate a package into multiple binary packages will be
needed, because while the different versions of a shared library have
non-conflicting filenames, the developement files (headers and ar archives)
and documentation don't. That's why in Debian library packages are split
to a runtime support package and a developement package. (It can also save
space and download dime for those who don't compile from source.)

Bye Pavel