Subject: Re: problems with choosing a Berkeley DB
To: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/11/2005 05:12:27
On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 01:42:06PM +1300, Mark Davies wrote:
> On Thursday 06 January 2005 10:39, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> > 5. If ${BDB_DEFAULT} isn't listed in BDB_ACCEPTED for a package, then
> > ? ?that package will be marked with PKG_FAIL_REASON as "${BDB_DEFAULT}
> > ? ?not a supported Berkeley DB type for ${PKGNAME}."
>
> kdevelop-base really wants to link against db3 (there are problems reported
> when linking against db4 and the developers aren't interested in chasing db
> versions).  Given the above it now fails to build so should I change it to
> explicitly include db3/buildlink3.mk rather than bdb.buildlink3.mk?

Yes, I think this is one way to do it.  The other is to set BDB_ACCEPTED
to "db3" for kdevelop-base, but in that case, the build will fail
unless BDB_DEFAULT is also "db3".  You can certainly include
db3/buildlink3.mk directly, but...

> And yes up till now it seems to have been fine mixing db3 here and db4 in the
> various things it depends on.

...you'll still get this same mixing of db3 and db4 linked into libraries
and executables.  I'm not sure why it's working in this case, but not
in other cases that have been reported to me.  I'll just hope that it
continues to work, and perhaps we'll figure out the real reason in the
future.  Also, hopefully, kdevelop-base will one day be able to use
db4, since that's the way everything is moving.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>