Subject: Re: And speaking of PKGREVISION: Perl version bumping
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/10/2005 15:19:47
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > > So I ran into something today that was rather ... interesting.  We still
> > > have an issue with Perl, insofar that modules containing .so's cannot load
> > > any longer when the Perl package is updated.  I had modules compiled against
> > > 5.8.5, and when updating to 5.8.6, the existing binpkgs could no longer find
> > > libperl.so (because the rpath was now wrong).
> >
> > I wonder if a symlink could be used for 5.8 and set the RPATH to use it
> > instead. I don't know if that is safe for all of these perl modules
> > though.
>
> I think the right thing to do would be to do it in the same way that
> lang/ruby* is now set up to do (which is how all these things should
> have been done in the first place of course).

That's unrelated.  I'm talking within-major-version backwards compatibility
here (5.8.5 to 5.8.6, for example, where there is usually not a libperl ABI
change), not compatibility from 5.6 to 5.8.

See my other mail about why the ruby scheme is not appropriate for perl
(insofar that we want to remove perl 5.6 altogether, now that it's virtually
unsupported and works on fewer pkgsrc platforms than perl 5.8).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>