Subject: Could CVS mirrors contain corrupt files?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Ryan Cresawn <cresawn@chass.utoronto.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/06/2005 11:52:39
Developers,

I'm concerned about memory corruption on the primary CVS server,
anoncvs.netbsd.org, and the potential for its mirrors to now store
corrupt files.  Specifically, is it the case that the memory
corruption on anoncvs.netbsd.org could have resulted in corrupt files
being stored on disk and then copied to some or all of the mirror
sites?

In an effort to checkout pkgsrc-2004Q4 from anoncvs2.us.netbsd.org, I
encountered the following error and this is the basis for my question:

# cvs co -r pkgsrc-2004Q4 pkgsrc
cvs checkout: Updating pkgsrc
cvs checkout: Updating pkgsrc/archivers
cvs checkout: Updating pkgsrc/archivers/9e
cvs checkout: Updating pkgsrc/archivers/9e/patches
cvs checkout: Updating pkgsrc/archivers/advancecomp
\
 >--- many lines of output removed for brevity
/
cvs checkout: Updating pkgsrc/doc
cvs checkout: Updating pkgsrc/doc/guide
cvs checkout: Updating pkgsrc/doc/guide/files
cvs [checkout aborted]: unrecognized operation '\xa' in /cvsroot/pkgsrc/doc/guide/files/editing.xml,v
#

Furthermore, if we had pkgsrc-2004Q4.tar.gz on ftp.netbsd.org or its
mirrors, would this have reduced the dependence on anoncvs.netbsd.org
and its mirrors?  Please see my previous post on this topic:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2004/11/30/0007.html

Sincerely,
Ryan