Subject: Re: problems with choosing a Berkeley DB
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/05/2005 14:59:25
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> > One thing I definitely don't want to see disappear is db1 support.  Though
> > db4 could be the default, and the trigger for bumping PKGREVISIONs, there is
> > still a pretty sizable chunk of software that is perfectly happy with
> > db1.8x.  So BDB_DEFAULT should still be settable by the user to "db1" to
> > make use of db1 in packages that support it.
>
> Yes, that sounds good, but let it up to the user's choice (and default to
> something known).

...which may even be db1 on some platforms, depending on pkgsrc leadership's
opinion.  That still means that PKGREVISION bumps are needed whenever db4
changes in this scenario, of course.

> I'm just putting emphasis on this because the current situation is, IMHO,
> not acceptable. Packages are beeing built against the current _installed_
> version of db...

This also happens for pgsql and other packages, and it really is annoying
because of the use-whatever-is-installed scheme.  Perhaps this is an
indicator that we should change the policy to make these bl3 files use
whatever the user prefers, or if the preference is not supported, default to
a fixed version based on the package acceptable list, never checking which
version is installed already.

I should add that removing the use-whatever-is-installed logic to achieve
this consistency will help my derecursion effort in spades.  That's because
it means far less build-time pkg_info and .if exists() checks in the
Makefile goop.  :)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>