Subject: Re: problems with choosing a Berkeley DB
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/05/2005 14:07:48
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I'd like to suggest that we pick a DB and stay with it.
>
> Also, maybe some packages maybe should use the lightest weight db.

> One idea would be to phase out db3 (except for rare package that requires
> it). Use db2 for everything needing a light-weight db (if that is true
> that db2 is quicker and/or smaller). And then use db4 for rest.

The policy of pkgsrc seems to be slanted toward consistency, so perhaps db4
should be the default globally, nuking db2/db3, and bumping PKGREVISIONs on
db4's soname bump.  I can't speak for db2 vs. db4 resource consumption,
however.

One thing I definitely don't want to see disappear is db1 support.  Though
db4 could be the default, and the trigger for bumping PKGREVISIONs, there is
still a pretty sizable chunk of software that is perfectly happy with
db1.8x.  So BDB_DEFAULT should still be settable by the user to "db1" to
make use of db1 in packages that support it.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>