Subject: Re: Using pkg_chk in a sandbox
To: Laurent Hofer <laurent.hofer@free.fr>
From: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/05/2005 11:51:01
* On 2005-01-02 at 22:08 GMT, Laurent Hofer wrote:

> I'd like to use a sandbox and pkg_chk to manage bunches of packages.
>
> the goal is to have up-to-date packages and to avoid
> rerere-compiling of some dependencies.

An alternative I've found recently is to use SPECIFIC_PKGS support in
the bulk build scripts and pkg_chk, as follows:

 1) Create a pkgchk.conf file with your desired package list

     (example: ftp://ftp0.mh.bbc.co.uk/pub/pkgsrc/bulk/pkgchk.conf)

 2) Parse it from your $MAKECONF to add to *_SPECIFIC_PKGS

     (example: ftp://ftp0.mh.bbc.co.uk/pub/pkgsrc/bulk/pkgmk.conf)

 3) Use the bulk build infrastructure to create chroot, build the
    *_SPECIFIC_PKGS, then pkg_chk to install/update them (note you'll
    need to set up an appropriate build.conf for bulk building).

     (example: ftp://ftp0.mh.bbc.co.uk/pub/pkgsrc/bulk/update-pkgs)

This works really well for me, and may be useful for somebody.

Cheers,

--
Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project
http://www.perkin.org.uk/                       http://www.netbsd.org/