Subject: Re: Using pkg_chk in a sandbox
To: Laurent Hofer <>
From: Jonathan Perkin <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/05/2005 11:51:01
* On 2005-01-02 at 22:08 GMT, Laurent Hofer wrote:

> I'd like to use a sandbox and pkg_chk to manage bunches of packages.
> the goal is to have up-to-date packages and to avoid
> rerere-compiling of some dependencies.

An alternative I've found recently is to use SPECIFIC_PKGS support in
the bulk build scripts and pkg_chk, as follows:

 1) Create a pkgchk.conf file with your desired package list

 2) Parse it from your $MAKECONF to add to *_SPECIFIC_PKGS

 3) Use the bulk build infrastructure to create chroot, build the
    *_SPECIFIC_PKGS, then pkg_chk to install/update them (note you'll
    need to set up an appropriate build.conf for bulk building).

This works really well for me, and may be useful for somebody.

Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project