Subject: Re: feature request: packing list checking
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2005 19:02:44
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:27:16 -0500
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

> It would be neat if, just before a make install, a file got touched,
> and just after the make install, a quick find -newer was done on
> /usr/pkg (or wherever) to check that the packing list is indeed
> correct. Our packing lists are "mostly" correct, but not always, and
> this would pretty much eliminate the problem of them getting out of
> date, which hurts binary package users...

As already pointed out by Hubert, print-PLIST does that, but I find it's
a quite time-consuming operation, specially when /usr/pkg is crowded.
Plus it's not perfect.  Some packages install files preserving timestamps
(I fix them whenever I find them).

However, I agree; this could be nice to have (specially because we're
cross-platform, and some packages like to install extra files depending
on the platform we're on).

IIRC, Gentoo's portage does it, but I don't know how (maybe it LD_PRELOADs
some library that keeps track of installed stuff?).  Other systems do this
by installing in a staging directory - in fact they use this to generate a
dynamic file list, but we'd use the same method to verify that the static
list is correct).

Cheers

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>