Subject: Re: From PR to pkgsrc
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2004 13:57:00
[ On Thursday, December 30, 2004 at 10:51:46 (+0100), Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: From PR to pkgsrc
>
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:54:58 -0500 (EST)
> "Greg A. Woods" <woods@planix.com> wrote:
>
> > I know that far too few PR submitters use "shar" to encapsulate their
> > files right in the PR, but that's almost certainly because nobody
> > officially told them to do it that way (and partly because send-pr
> > itself has no integrated facility for attaching a set of files).
>
> Just BTW, this is not the recommended way of submitting packages anyway.
> See: http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/submit.html

Yeah, I know.  However the recommended way is just plain stupid and annoying.

(and I'm sure I'm not the first to say very much the same, though others
have no doubt used more polite words)

Gzip'ed uuencoded crap makes the content of the PR unreadable and MUCH
more difficult to extract.

The standard "shar" utility provides more than enough armouring for any
file type that's likely to be included in any pkg submission while at
the same time leaving the content quite human readable.

No wonder nobody wants to deal with pkg submissions in PRs.  I know for
certain that I quickly delete and ignore anything submitted as a
uuencode'd anything.

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>