Subject: Re: Native Java
To: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2004 13:35:51
Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> On Thursday 30 December 2004 06:29, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
>
>>G'day,
>>
>>what are the chances of seeing an update of the native Java support for
>>i386 in near future? Is there anything in the pipeline or is Linux based
>>Java the only way?
>

> I'm working on it myself.  I currently have Azureus running in a native 1.4.2
> JVM, but there is some stuff that needs to be tidied up a little.

Could you give a rough idea of what kind of resources are necessary to
compile a native JDK? I tried building it a while back, but ran out of
memory repeatedly, even with 512Mb of physical RAM and a Gigabyte of
swap. I tried again without any compiler optimisations, but ran out of
down time on the server I was using and had to give up.

(Hopefully one day we'll have an officially sanctioned binary package).

Chris