Subject: Re: From PR to pkgsrc
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/29/2004 21:07:58
[ On Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 20:34:52 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: From PR to pkgsrc
>
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > > I mean, really, if Greg wants to contribute, that's great, but if we can't
> > > get the time to review it all, the elided "additional effort" basically
> > > renders his contributions ultimately moot.
> >
> > Ultimately ignoring PRs forces someone else ignorant of the efforts to
> > be found already in GNATs to duplicate them all over again.  That's the
> > "reinvent the wheel" problem I've been trying get across....
>
> Maybe I'm misparsing you, but it sounds like you agree that pkgsrc-wip is
> the best way to go after all.

Nice spin on it, but no, that's not what I meant  :-)

I do agree pkgsrc-wip is fine and good for those able to use it.

However as my own broken record keeps saying, until and unless the "pkg"
category of GNATS is officially deprecated then _someone_, be they
pkgsrc or pkgsrc-wip committers must be officially encouraged to make
timely use of all GNATS pkg submissions.

--
						Greg A. Woods
						Planix, Inc.

<woods@planix.com>     +1 416 489-5852 x122     http://www.planix.com/