Subject: Re: HEADS UP: RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR changed to share/examples/rc.d
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/29/2004 20:21:56
[ On Monday, December 27, 2004 at 21:13:47 (-0800), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: HEADS UP: RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR changed to share/examples/rc.d
> jlam then modified it in December 2001 (1.12) to "Default to not
> installing the rc.d scripts automatically.". The CVS log says:  By
> default, don't install the rc.d scripts into /etc/rc.d.  Despite the fact
> that they don't do anything unless the appropriate variables are set in
> rc.conf, people really dislike the warning emitted at startup.

BTW, my colleague Andreas Wrede suggested to me a very simple fix to
this problem of these unnecessary "WARNING: $blah is not set properly in
/etc/rc.conf - see rc.conf(5)." messages.

The fix would be to create, as another managed configuration file, an
/etc/defaults/rc.blah file with the "blah=NO blah_flags=''" values in
it; and then of course to have rc.subr source this new file in between
sourcing /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf.  As a managed config
file it would be removed, if still unchanged, when the pkg is deleted.

(alternately put it in a new directory /etc/defaults/rc.conf.d/blah)

(actually his original suggestion was to create a new
/etc/rc.conf.d/blah file if it didn't already exist and insert those
values, but of cource that file is sourced _after_ /etc/rc.conf and so
it would not have the right effect unless the right shell magic was used
to only set the variable if it's not already set)

						Greg A. Woods
						Planix, Inc.

<>     +1 416 489-5852 x122