Subject: Re: From PR to pkgsrc
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/29/2004 19:54:58
[ On Saturday, December 25, 2004 at 01:29:58 (+0100), Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: From PR to pkgsrc
>
> Because it will be easier for _other_ people to review and improve the
> package.

Apparently they're going to have to do it anyway, so what's the difference!?!?!?

> I.e., when a developer sees a package attached to a PR, he has to fetch
> it, unpack it, review it (often the most time-consuming part, because
> many packages omit many pkgsrc "policies") and commit it, all at once.

So go the woes of being a developer who has to follow so many often
arbitrary "policies".  :-)

Also, if "fetching and unpacking" a PR are even a tiny part of the pain
involved then something's drastically wrong.

I know that far too few PR submitters use "shar" to encapsulate their
files right in the PR, but that's almost certainly because nobody
officially told them to do it that way (and partly because send-pr
itself has no integrated facility for attaching a set of files).

However you can be certain that all my PRs do, and will continue to,
include all of the relevant files in easy-to-use, human-readable, form.

> In pkgsrc-wip, all these things can happen at different times, and by
> different people.

And they can still happen in pkgsrc-wip, if that be the preferred work
environment of whomever chooses to do the work.

Nobody forces an official developer to do it all at once either -- they
can claim ownership of an outstanding PR and work on it as their time
permits for days, weeks, or months, as required.

The point I've been trying to make is that PRs will be here for the
forseen future regardless and so if "official" pkgsrc committers are
feeling too squeezed to deal with PRs in the "pkg" category then they
had damn well better try a bit harder to officially encourage _existing_
pkgsrc-wip committers to help deal with them.  It probably wouldn't hurt
at all to give such folks more direct access to GNATs too so as to make
their interaction smoother and easier.

--
						Greg A. Woods
						Planix, Inc.