Subject: Re: HEADS UP: RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR changed to share/examples/rc.d
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/29/2004 01:16:14
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Robert Elz wrote:

>   | No, the current situation is definitely *un*reasonable, because of...
>   | ...BINARY PACKAGES.
>
> This is definitely not the NetBSD way.   And no, I don't mean "everyone
> should use source" or anything like it.    I mean, the attitude "pkg_add
> is broken/deficient, so we'll force everything to work around the problem
> rather than simply fixing it".
>
> If pkg_add can't handle automatically (and optionally) installing rc.d
> scripts, then we just need to fix the stupid thing.

Er, that's why the RCD_SCRIPTS installation happens in the INSTALL file.
As do other CONF_FILES and SUPPORT_FILES, which are installed to
LOCALBASE/etc [in most packages] by default.

So I don't see why rc.d scripts should be any different -- just install them
to $LOCALBASE/etc by default just as with other customizable files (and let
a source build be configurable to use something not rooted under LOCALBASE).
I don't see any reason not to install them *anywhere*; that's just stupid.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>