Subject: Re: HEADS UP: RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR changed to share/examples/rc.d
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/2004 22:29:37
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Todd Vierling wrote:

> So I don't see why rc.d scripts should be any different -- just install them
> to $LOCALBASE/etc by default just as with other customizable files (and let
> a source build be configurable to use something not rooted under LOCALBASE).
> I don't see any reason not to install them *anywhere*; that's just stupid.

I have been using PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES for a couple years on a few systems
(some with pkgsrc and some with all binary packages) and it has appeared
to work fine. My only problem is the complaint:

Sep 15 06:27:00 puget logger: /etc/rc: WARNING: $cupsd is not set properly
- see rc.conf(5).

(and other variables).

It is not a real problem though. The wording could be better though;
maybe like "WARNING: $cupsd is not set properly for /etc/rc.d/cupsd - see
rc.conf(5)."

warn "\$${1} is not set properly for \$${name} - see ${rcvar_manpage}."

(If ran without /etc/rc, the warning message would say /etc/rc.d/cupsd:
WARNING ...)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/