Subject: Re: a pkgsrc available file
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/2004 13:18:57
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Dieter Baron wrote:

>   Thank's for doing this, I think it was long overdue.

Here is a complete file:

ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/reed/pkgsrc-available-NetBSD-2.0-i386.bz2

(890808 bytes)

It is for packages from pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD-2.0/i386/All/

Note that deleted packages (like tiff) were not readded. So thie
"available" list doesn't include the missing tiff.

> : Should I include the +SIZE_ALL information too?
>
>   I don't think that would be very usefull.  More interesting is, how
> much space is needed for the dependencies that need to be installed,
> which can be computed quite easily.

+SIZE_ALL is the space needed for the dependencies. Right now the Size:
field just shows the extracted size of the package.

>   I don't think including URLs is a good idea, since it makes it
> harder to mirror/move the packages plus the available file.

Okay. As it is now, it is easily figured out from the information
provided.

> : Also, as I mentioned in other email: maybe I should remove the
> : LibRequires: of anything provided by same package. (Or maybe that doesn't
> : matter since an intelligent program can quickly see it in the LibProvides:
> : field.)
>
>   I would prefer for them to be removed from LibRequires: Put the
> logic into the one program creating the file instead of all of the N
> programs using it.

Okay. I'll look at that.

> : And maybe we should use objdump (or platform specific tool) to build the
> : REQUIRES (my LibRequires) instead of ldd so only direct library
> : dependencies will be listed.
>
>   That sounds like an excelent idea.  Also, possibly omit libraries
> from the base system, or at least mark them as such?

The base system libraries needed are useful too just in case someone has a
strange system.

I don't have the maintainer in the database because I think someone told
me months ago that they preferred that it was not included.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/