Subject: Re: HEADS UP: RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR changed to share/examples/rc.d
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/2004 11:01:00
[netbsd-users moved to Bcc:; remaining on tech-pkg]

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Robert Elz wrote:

>   | Why doesn't this default to $LOCALBASE/etc/rc.d and *enabled* so that
>   | binary packages get something half decent and usable for automatic
>   | inclusion?
>
> As I recall earlier discussion, this was because if that's done, and
> nothing goes and edits rc.conf (or some equivalent thereto) you get
> a bunch of warning messages about unset configuration variables that
> people find even more confusing than packages that are installed but
> where no enabling script has been installed at all.

This sounds trivially easy to fix:  make the pkgsrc-supplied scripts more
lenient by setting the rcvar =NO before slurping in rc.subr/rc.conf.  If the
user wants to enable the daemon, a =YES setting will override the default
=NO setting (after all, they're just shell variables).

Voila, no warning messages and no need to copy scripts anywhere.

> If you know what you're doing, it is trivial to automate installing the
> rc.d scripts,

It shouldn't have to involve copying files around, one at a time, in the
case of binary package defaults.  We don't do that for base system rc.d
scripts; why should we require that for pkgsrc?

The defaults should make it as easy as possible to integrate pkgsrc packages
into the running system.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>