Subject: Re: HEADS UP: RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR changed to share/examples/rc.d
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/2004 13:41:04
    Date:        Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:25:36 -0500 (EST)
    From:        Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>

  | Why doesn't this default to $LOCALBASE/etc/rc.d and *enabled* so that
  | binary packages get something half decent and usable for automatic
  | inclusion?

As I recall earlier discussion, this was because if that's done, and
nothing goes and edits rc.conf (or some equivalent thereto) you get
a bunch of warning messages about unset configuration variables that
people find even more confusing than packages that are installed but
where no enabling script has been installed at all.

Personally, I believe that the current setup (after whet I am assuming
is in the recent change - I can't check it till anoncvs reappears to
be certain) is the correct default.

If you know what you're doing, it is trivial to automate installing the
rc.d scripts, if you don't, then having them in an examples directory
ready to be copied to the appropriate place, and the associated entry
added to rc.conf is really easy to explain.

kre