Subject: Re: test tiff-3.7.1 update
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/25/2004 01:31:17
On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 07:01:32PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Please test the following and share your comments.
>
> This updates tiff to tiff-3.7.1. (Current tiff has some security issue
> announced today.) I have been using tiff-3.7.0 for a couple months on
> NetBSD.
>
> Be sure to remove all patches and add patch-aa (at bottom of this email).
>
> Do we need to have a custom libtiff install for OpenWindows? Why was this
> here?

I think this was here since some of the X11 libraries in OpenWindows
linked against the system-supplied libtiff.  When we installed our
own libtiff and compiled X11 software, it had the potential to be
linked against both TIFF libraries, which was error.

We can and should remove this hack, since it won't work as the libtiff
API/ABI evolves over time.  We can definitely find another way to
solve this nowadays, with the buildlink3/builtin framework as well as
having the X.org and XFree86 packages in pkgsrc.

> And I don't think files/config.site is even used anymore. It should have
> been removed. (Or am I missing something?)

As you've already seen, this is unneeded now that we can simply use
GNU configure.

> Some of the changes include:
>
> - package now includes HTML-ized man pages
> - HTML docs are under share/doc/tiff-3.7.1/html directory
>   instead of share/doc/html/tiff

Could we install the documentation under share/doc/tiff/html instead,
i.e. without the version number?  That makes it look more like the
other packages in pkgsrc.

> - some links of man pages gone -- is this okay?

This is fine.

> - new bmp2tiff tool
> - tiff 3.7.x uses configure and libtool

This is a very welcome change.  We know how to deal with those types of
packages very well.

Please commit this package as soon as you can, since as you noted,
there are security issues here.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>