Subject: Re: From PR to pkgsrc
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/25/2004 01:29:58
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:32:26 -0500 (EST)
"Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com> wrote:

> > Really, honestly, go get yourself registered for pkgsrc-wip and move any new
> > package submissions or updates-with-major-reworks there.  Once committed,
> > ask for a quick review on the pkgsrc-wip-review mailing list.  You'll be
> > glad you did.
>
> No, thanks, but I really do not have the time to get involved with
> pkgsrc-wip.  It's not something I could integrate into my production
> environment, and it's only useful from my perspective for new package
> submissions.  Why would I go to all that effort when I can far more
> easily just shar up my new submissions and load into send-pr without any
> additional effort?

Because it will be easier for _other_ people to review and improve the
package.  It might take some more minutes on your side to send your package
(though I _really_ doubt it, once you know the basics, which are five
commands at most).

I.e., when a developer sees a package attached to a PR, he has to fetch
it, unpack it, review it (often the most time-consuming part, because
many packages omit many pkgsrc "policies") and commit it, all at once.
In pkgsrc-wip, all these things can happen at different times, and by
different people.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/