Subject: Some BUILDLINK_DEPENDS bumps missed
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/23/2004 00:25:52
(I blind-carbon-copied two maintaines of packages mentioned below.)

I see this a lot. Maybe others don't use binary packages on non-build
machines, or maybe others only upgrade all packages together at a time, or
maybe I am the only one that mentions it a lot. (Please note that I did
not "force" the installs.)

It would be good to have some testing mechanism that verifies that all
SONAMEs are correct. Or until a technical check is in place, we should
require that developers output a list of the shared libraries before and
after their upgrades to see if the SONAMEs change and then bump
BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.

I installed abiword built on one system on another system and it was
missing some libraries, so I looked closer:

libglade-2.0.so.0:
        libxml2.so.8 => not found
        libgtk-x11-2.0.so.400 => not found
        libgdk-x11-2.0.so.400 => not found
        libatk-1.0.so.600 => not found
        libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.400 => not found
        libpangoxft-1.0.so.399 => not found
        libpangox-1.0.so.399 => not found
        libpango-1.0.so.399 => not found

libwv-1.0.so.2:
        libxml2.so.8 => not found

The abiword-2.0.14 depends on libglade2>=2.3.6 and wv>=1.0.2nb1.

I have libglade2-2.3.6 which depends on libxml2>=2.6.2 and gtk2+>=2.4.0.

I have wv-1.0.2nb1 which depends on libxml2>=2.6.2.

I have libxml2-2.6.16 which is good enough for that, but has different
SONAMEs than used by the other problem libraries.

I have gtk2+-2.4.10nb1 which depends on pango>=1.6.0nb1 and atk>=1.8.0nb1.

I have pango-1.6.0nb1 and atk-1.8.0nb1.

Instead of trying to spend an hour or more trying to figure out when the
SONAMES changed for libglade2's and wv's dependencies, may I bump the
BUILDLINK_DEPENDS for libglade2, wv, gtk2, pango and atk?

Or will you check to see when the SONAMEs changed for your packages
installed libraries and set the BUILDLINK_DEPENDS to at least that
version?

(It appears that libxml2 is fine, but others weren't bumped to force to
use it. I have a newer libxml2 installed, but other packages are depending
and using old libxml2 libraries that are no longer installed.)

Thank you,

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/