Subject: Re: ms-ttf: get rid of license and upload restrictions and move font
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/21/2004 16:00:57
On 21 Dec 2004, Greg Troxel wrote:

> In my view, the ms-ttf license is non-free becaues it prohibits
> including it on a cd-rom that someone is selling, and it would also
> prohibit a company that develops a NetBSD-based system from installing
> it on systems they ship.
>
> Thus, I would like warning before even building this package.
>
> Perhaps RESTRICTED= is supposed to be useful for this, but it fails to
> cover the range of semantics.  The ms-ttf bits, either 'source'
> tarball or 'binary' package, are apparently not restricted from FTP or
> CDROM in general, but may not be redistributed "for profit".  Thus,
> until RESTRICTED can express this, I think this package needs all four
> restrictions, unless there is a notion that FTP means only anonymous
> FTP.

Yes, we do need a way to say it is restricted if "for profit".

I still think it should allow building and installing and uploading to
public FTP though. Maybe just restricting on CD and source on CDROM is
good enough.

As I mentioned a couple months ago, even the stricter Debian project
includes this package.

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/