Subject: Re: package update/replace (was Re: pkg_install BIG problem)
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Rene Hexel <r.hexel@griffith.edu.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/14/2004 08:11:05
On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 16:49 -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> > install, in your scenario), a ton of other packages get (and need to
> > get) deinstalled as well that have not been built yet.
>
> 	well, of course, but that's a different issue than keeping the
> package you explicitly update installed until there's a known-good build.

  I agree.  (Nevertheless, the multi-package issue is what typically
hits you hardest.)

> >   The only solution I see is to get UPDATE_TARGET=replace to work
> > properly.
>
> 	I don't know about setting UPDATE_TARGET, but I know running a
> "make replace" seems to work fine for me.  What isn't right about it?

  UPDATE_TARGET=replace does not work in more complicated scenarios.
For example: you have a package A depends on B and a package C that
depends on both A and B.  If you do a "make update" for A that doesn't
require an update of B, but C does, then "replace" can render package A
unusable if the new version of B is ABI incompatible with the old
version.

> 	However, you have to be careful while doing that because pkgsrc
> doesn't know which versions are compatible.

  Yes, exactly.  For a single package, this is manageable, though (you
just bite the bullet and do a "make update" without replace).  For a
bunch of inter-connected packages this can wreak havoc to your system
though.

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene