Subject: xgettext issues
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/12/2004 19:53:21
Is there a way to prefer the pkgsrc xgettext binary over the system one?
I have the gettext 0.11.5 installed from pkgsrc, but the configure
script of some pkgsrc packages I'm trying to create is detecting the
system gettext 0.10.35 binaries and issuing the following error:

checking for msgfmt... (cached) /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... (cached) /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for msgmerge... (cached) /usr/bin/msgmerge
found xgettext program is not GNU xgettext; ignore it

...which results in:

config.status: executing default-1 commands
sed: 1: "s:@INTLTOOL_XGETTEXT@:::g": bad flag in substitute command: ':'
sed: 1: "s:@INTLTOOL_XGETTEXT@:::g": bad flag in substitute command: ':'
sed: 1: "s:@INTLTOOL_XGETTEXT@:::g": bad flag in substitute command: ':'

...further down, as @INTLTOOL_XGETTEXT@ now expands to ':' and this
breaks the creation of the intltool-{extract,merge,update} scripts in
${WRKSRC}. Despite both being GNU gettext, (0.10.35 system versus 0.11.5
pkgsrc) if I move the /usr/bin/xgettext out of the way, the pkgsrc
xgettext binary is detected and it works.

I'm running a fairly recent pkgsrc checkout on a NetBSD 2.0RC5 system,
some of these packages don't have configure scripts, etc. so I'm using
the various tools as installed by pkgsrc; autoconf, gettextize,
libtoolize, etc.

Thanks

Matt