Subject: Re: Time problem with Perl
To: Marc Baudoin <babafou@babafou.eu.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/10/2004 12:53:54
On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 11:52:25AM +0100, Marc Baudoin wrote:
> I don't have this problem with perl-5.8.5nb2 (on yet another
> computher running stock 2.0) but I have it with perl-5.8.5nb3 and
> perl-5.8.5nb4.  Could it be a wrong pkgsrc patch?

The newer perls are compiled to support threading, right?
I bet this difference comes from localtime() vs. localtime_r() - the man
page says:

     [..] localtime_r()
     does not imply initialization of the local time conversion information;
     the application may need to do so by calling tzset(3).

Interestingly I have a perl 5.8.5 build from pkgsrc, using libpthread (so at
that time the pkg was perl58-thread),  predating the big "everythign
dlopen'ing is threaded" overhaul which does not show this behaviour. Maybe
something else prevented perl's configure to detect localtime_r() on my
machine.

Martin