Subject: bootstrap with gzip-base and bzip2 included
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Wallis <rawallis@comcast.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/06/2004 23:32:00
I've created a bootstrap tarball from the 22 November 2004 state of pkgsrc.

This tarball contains a slightly modifed version of archivers/gzip-base and
archivers/bzip2. Those two packages are now built by bootstrap if the binaries
do not already exist on the system in certain directories like /usr/bin,
/usr/local/bin, /usr/sfw/bin and usr|opt/freeware/bin.

The packages themselves were modified so they could be installed by bootstrap.
As a result, the distributions of those packages are in their files
directories. The pkgsrc patches were also applied to them.
Bzip2 got the autconf treatment and gzip was made to be more portable.

More information on these changes can be found at
http://home.comcast.net/~rawallis

I would greatly appericate for people to download the bootstrap tarball and
kick it in the tires. I hope these changes can be reviewed and eventually
incorporated into pkgsrc. Having a bootstrap with gzip and bzip2 would make
those of using pkgsrc on operating systems that may not come with gzip or bzip2 easier to install and use pkgsrc.

The tarball is located at http://home.comcast.net/~rawallis/bootstrap-bz2_gz.tar

In the coming months, I would like to also get mrgzip from NetBSD-current into
the tree as well, but that would require more NetBSD-fu and libnbcompat-fu than
I have now.

Thanks in advance.

-Andy Wallis