Subject: Re: OpenSSL and pkgconfig clash
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/29/2004 08:12:06
On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 03:01:25PM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:

> to make GNOME and some stuff, you inherit devel/pkgconfig
>
> if you have pkgconfig installed, some s/w assumes it can find openssl.
>
> If you have system openssl, or install from pkgs, you don't get openssl.pc
>
> This has been reported in OpenBSD, and I suspect the same fix suggested
> there (make a pkgconfig .pc file) works for us..

I found interesting commentary here:

``reported a similar problem with the lack of
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/openssl.pc from base, but it was determined
that openssl.pc was a Red Hat specific file and that the author of the
autoconf configure.in was responsible for implementing a better check.''

http://news.gw.com/openbsd.ports.bugs/10

Can you give an example pkgsrc package that has this problem?

Thank you,

Ben