Subject: pkgsrc on AIX 5.1
To: None <>
From: Louis Guillaume <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/29/2004 00:39:01

I'm attempting to build security/openssh (and hopefully others) on AIX
5.1. I've hit my first roadblock: Here's what happens when pkgsrc tries
to install the patch-2.5.4nb2 package...

===> Configuring for patch-2.5.4nb2
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... config.sub: invalid option --aix
Try `config.sub --help' for more information.
checking for gcc... gcc

checking for ed... /usr/bin/ed
checking build system type... config.sub: invalid option --aix
Try `config.sub --help' for more information.
./configure[1048]: invalid: unknown test operator
checking for getconf... getconf

creating Makefile
sed: Function s%@host@%config.sub: invalid option --aix cannot be parsed.
creating config.h
===> Building for patch-2.5.4nb2
bmake: don't know how to make all. Stop

... other than that: I've successfully bootstrapped pkgsrc and have
followed the hints offered by Laurent Daverio who posted his findings in
August. This (openssh) is the first package I've tried to load, however,
  so I don't have much else to report.

Here's some machine information...

# for i in m s r v ;do uname -$i ;done
# oslevel
# lsdev -Cc processor
proc0 Available 00-00 Processor
# lsattr -El proc0
state     enable       Processor state False
type      PowerPC_604e Processor type  False
frequency 374999808    Processor Speed False

and the output from config.guess (after configure fails)...

# sh config.guess

Any help would be great. Please let me know if I can provide any more
info. Thanks,