Subject: Re: libtool fails w/o c++ compiler
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
From: grant beattie <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/27/2004 21:22:25

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 08:26:32PM +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> I just bootstrapped pkgsrc in a quite minimal Slackware 10.0 box.  All
> fine.  But when building libtool-base, I got a failure in the configure
> script, which said that /lib/cpp did not produce the expected results.
> Upon inspection of config.log, I found that cpp couldn't open cc1plus.
> And, after installing the gcc-g++ package, all worked fine.  Which could
> be the right solution here?  Mark the package as c++-dependent?  Avoid
> using c++?

I found this was also case on Tru64 where you get a c compiler but no
c++ compiler in base (though the failure is slightly different, the
command to extract symbols from libraries fails for me).

libtool should not depend on a c++ compiler, though. the right fix is
to rearrange the libtool configure script so that ac_compile and
ac_link are only set to $CXX after the other tests have been run.
libtool is compiler-dependent and any change to the compiler
environment requires a rebuild of libtool, including adding a c++
compiler later.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)