Subject: Re: Threading problems
To: None <Nathan@s102-n054.tele2.cz, "J."@s102-n054.tele2.cz,>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/25/2004 00:18:31
Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> Right, that's what I meant by "inappropriately". If the goal is to be
> a library that is safe in the presence of threaded calling code, then
> linking against libpthread is the wrong answer. The right answer is to
> use our <threadlib.h> routines, and let the libc weak-binding work for
> you, rather than against you.

> > At least one library picks up libpthread without actually using
> > any of it's functionality (databases/unixodbc).

> Okay, that's a bug. Why does that happen?

This is actually red herring - unixodbc _does_ use pthread routines
(mutex-only to be thread-safe), but the libs were partially stripped
via --retain-symbols-file, and thus nm did not list the pthread
symbols being used.

Jaromir
-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-
-=- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=-