Subject: Re: pthread + pkgsrc proposal
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/24/2004 18:11:45
[ On Wednesday, November 24, 2004 at 12:41:59 (+0100), Martin Husemann wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: pthread + pkgsrc proposal
>
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 07:01:37AM +0000, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> > For pkgsrc, I will be making changes so that if the package uses
> > dlopen(), then it will be automatically linked with pthread support.
>
> If I have a pkg that uses dlopen, but I am realy sure that it never will
> dlopen() anything threaded - will there be a way to declare that I know
> what I'm doing and avoid the pthread linking?

I should certainly hope so!

Perhaps there's also some trick that can be used so that ld.so will fail
when any attempt is made to load a module that expects a thread-safe
environment into a non-threaded application process.

Perhaps also pkgsrc could offer a way to refuse to build such a module too.

And finally pkg_add should refuse to install such a module -- we'd need
to detect how the primary application was built, but without using yet
more stupid naming tricks on the primary package names (i.e. no
"-threaded" suffixes on the names!) -- this is where the +REQUIRE script
comes into play... it can do arbitrarily sophisticated requirements
checks before allowing installation to occur.

--
						Greg A. Woods