Subject: Re: cross compiling for another NetBSD release
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/24/2004 17:36:07
[ On Monday, November 22, 2004 at 23:03:51 (+0100), Lubomir Sedlacik wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: cross compiling for another NetBSD release
>
> by installing pkgsrc/pkgtools/libkver and pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_comp
> and doing the, oh, so impossible..

Ah, yes, well, OK, so there is some magic avaliable for heaving an
entire different _older_ release for the _same_ architecture into a
chroot environment and using that different release's toolchain,
headers, libraries, etc. to build pacakges that should install and run
on that older release.  It does seem to answer the OP's question
affirmatively, but I'm not sure I'd want to be the guinea-pig!  ;-)

(I like some aspects of the idea of pkg_comp in principle, but I suspect
it's going to (have to) remain a "fringe" feature of pkgsrc in general)

--
						Greg A. Woods